Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 21:43:46 +0800
On 04/05/2005, at 21:22, Becky Lyons wrote:

> Can someone help me locate the nutrient content of foremilk vs.
> hinkmilk?
> Other than the differences in fat content, I can't put my hands on
> other
> differences - does the protein change?  Obviously, there is less
> lactose.
> We are using hindmilk to feed a "slow grower" (via nj tube - no oral or
> gastric feeds at this time), but, am concerned that baby isn't
> receiving
> the full benefit of the "entire feeding" and may be missing some
> valuble
> nutrients, vitamins, and/or minerals.

For macronutrient composition, this paper will help:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/cabi/bjn/2002/00000088/00000001/
art00005#avail

Mitoulas L.R.*1; Kent J.C.1; Cox D.B.1; Owens R.A.1; Sherriff J.L.2;
Hartmann P.E.1
British Journal of Nutrition, July 2002, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 29-37(9)
" Variation in fat, lactose and protein in human milk over 24 h and
throughout the first year of lactation"

They found that the fat varies significantly, but the protein and
lactose do not. I've not read anything to suggest that micronutrients
would change dramatically depending on fullness, either, but would be
interested to read about it if you do.

Lara Hopkins