From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:36:10 EDT
In a message dated 08/10/2001 9:02:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Date:    Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:17:13 EDT
 From:    "Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: reimbursement ant the future of LCs

 Dear Lactnetters,
        I apologize for being late entering into this discussion.  It is
 something about which I feel passionately for many reasons.  I would like to
 share a couple of them.
        First of all, I love being a Lactation Consultant.  I have been
 working with mothers and babies for nineteen years, have been IBCLC for 11
 years, attend conferences, read journals, try to keep up with lactnet.  I
 read the WOmanly Art years before I even considered having children just
 because I thought breastfeeding was so amazing. I recently completed a
 Masters Degree in Health Education so that I can position myself to set up
 breastfeeding programs and teach aspiring LCs. I am in it because I love it.
        However, reality is, I need to earn a living.  My husband was one of
 those actors who know they're not likely to make a living :-), then went back
 to school to get a Masters Degree in education while we were raising our
 three babies.  Now he's teaching, but we have three kids who someday, God
 willing, will go to college, and have grocery bills today.  It makes me very
 sad that, despite much investment in experience and education and a devotion
 for the field, I can barely make a living in my chosen profession.  It makes
 me very sad that I have seen good LCs leave the profession because they could
 no longer afford the luxury of practicing in their field.
        Molly Pessl brought up a good point in the closing talk at the ILCA
 conference.  How many people today are dreaming of becoming a Lactation
 Consultant, the way that young people dream of becoming nurses, teachers, FBI
 agents.  How many 20-somethings are in our field?  As the pioneering LCs with
 the volunteer background gray, who will step up?
        I believe that we NEED to establish ourselves as credible
 professionals in order to continue to flourish and grow, to end the disparity
 in breastfeeding assistance available to women of different income groups, to
 allow intelligent professionals who do not have other sources of income to
 join us as we serve mothers and babies.
        We need to be good at what we do, and we need to be paid appropriately
 for our valuable services.  In my not so humble opinion...

        -Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, MS, IBCLC
        Breastfeeding Resources, Inc.
        furiously writing grants that include appropriate salaries for our new
 non-profit breastfeeding center in southeastern PA

Debi,
I applaud you!  I, too feel very passionately that we as a profession need to
"lead" our future into the new era by first acknowledging ourselves as
professionals.  If we do not choose to lead our profession by setting fees,
establishing programs, defining ourselves for the public, then how can we
expect the public to recognize us as an important compliment to the health
care arena?  Look at the other disciplines that are fairly similar to ours?
Massage therapists, chiropractors, physicians, dentists, psychologists, etc.,
etc.  These are all "fees for services" business entities that provide a
service not-for-profit, meaning not for the purpose of solely making a
profit, but our main reason for existence in the business is to provide a
service.  However, there is a big difference between providing a service and
being a volunteer and being free! And, look!  The only professionals today
who have "free" services are the lactation folks!  Ask yourselves, "Do you
expect to go to the doctor and have him/her treat you for free?"  Then ask
yourself, "Why not?"  If a dentist approached you that you didn't already
know and said to you, "I'll clean your teeth for free", would you go to him
or her just because he's/she's free?  Do you pay for your dental service?  I
do.  I also pay for my massages.  I don't expect my massage therapist to come
over to my house as a volunteer and give me a massage.  I, too, could go on
and on about this topic....I'll end here because you get my drift.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services
Geneva, Il