From:
Helen M Woodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 18:26:33 EDT
<<  (Baby 9 days old. Breastfeeding going good).  When she uses it, which has
been only a couple of times due to the problem she is experiencing, her
nipple turns a purplish red. When she stops pumping, only after a few
minutes, her nipple hurts and looks puffy ..... Recommendations?>>
Don't do it.   What is the reason for using a pump at this early stage?

Moving away from the posting on purple nipples - it seems to me that use of
pumps has become part and parcel of breastfeeding in many parts of the world,
why?  I know that I am putting my head above the parapet, of course I
understand going back to work, ill baby, etc., but I am quite concerned about
this trend for women to think that they *need/must have* a pump if they
breastfeed.  Hand expression is free, another small way to empower a woman.
Helen Woodman, NCT BfCounsellor, UK, Storrington, W Sussex.