Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:48:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Dear all:

Here I'm putting on my public health hat - from working with all those social marketers for 
nutrition interventions.  Looking at the big picture of why women see the pump as essential you 
have to look at Norway and why many more women there are able to breastfeed - as in feed at the 
breast.

They have good protections protecting parental leave.  It makes a huge difference.  If you want to 
change the perception that the pump is essential, I would definitely put your energies into 
changing the legislation in your state to protect parental leave.  The La Leche League website has 
a whole section on breastfeeding and the law with an updated state by state section and as i 
mentioned before the document on the United States Breastfeeding Coalition website has a nice 
structure for reviewing what items should be in place for the ideal legislation. 

If I started admonishing my particular population of women about exclusively feeding at the 
breast (as opposed to mostly feeding at the breast and pumping when they are at work - or even 
"social events") they would consider me naive at best and a breastfeeding nazi luddite at worst.   
My colleague had a client who actually told her to call back later because she couldn't write down 
the number at that moment.  She was not nursing her five day old baby - she was having a 
manicure.  This is a population where the leap is tremendous - so rather than falling into the 
Grand Canyon - I'm trying to build a bridge across, one little plank at a time.

Best, Susan.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2