From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2012 10:27:58 -0700
Article: How Washington Went Soft on Childhood Obesity
Some of the Washington politics behind our struggle - junk food industries Nestle, Kellogs, General Mills (the first 3 listed in Reuters article - link see below) spent $175 million dollars lobbying and it paid off for them!

http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/12/04/Food_lobby.pdf

The US Government needs money so succumbs to the junk food lobby. The US Department of Agriculture needs money so partners with Nestlé. The American Academy of Pediatrics needs money so they partner with Nestle.  The Governor of Michigan needs money so partners his state with Nestle. The Mayor of Newark needs money so partners his city with Nestle, the US Breastfeeding Committee wants money so agrees to a contract with Kellogs and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' Code of Ethics allows their registrants to work with the junk food companies.  (We realize that we are reporting may just be the "tip of the iceberg).

And neither the USBC or the US Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics will post any information, (on their websites) about what Nestle is systematically doing across the US.  Meanwhile, the obesity problem gets worse and worse and ...

Why are so many, otherwise intelligent US decision makers, blinded by the fact that these liaisons lead to increased health care costs and pain, suffering and sometimes death of our most vulnerable little citizens (not to mention the long term effects of childhood obesity).

 Have people forgotten the lesson at their mother's knee?  "Nothing in life is free"?

The Newark / Nestle petition has been extended so please continue to support (link below).  We are getting the word out worldwide that Nestlé's agenda is to partner with governments and take over as the "educators" of breastfeeding and nutrition.  We're still "calling all men" to support the campaign.  Thanks to all of you who are trying to speak for our mothers and babies.

 Petition link:  http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-cory-booker-newark-new-jersey-usa-stop-the-hypocritical-newarknestle-campaign-to-target-childhood-obesity?share_id=HDVyjOmNmk&.

Take care, Renee (in Vancouver)