Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 05:32:03 -0700
I find the discussion on this topic very interesting... but it saddens me a bit. Just because what you talk about was happening in the time my own mother was a baby - but not only was I myself raised in the same manner, but I still see it happen today routinely in my country :( In the most preffered maternity hospital in our capital city mothers and babies are kept apart and you cannot have you baby with you even if you insist or if you are in a private room (in common rooms there are about 6 to 8 mothers together!). Babies are brought to mothers every 3 hours during daytime, no night feedings. Schedule is a sacred thing and even in hospitals where moms and babies are together mothers are bullied if they dare feed the baby outside the 3 hours schedule. Sugarwater is a must (200 ml per 24h per pediatrician's order! - and not only for jaundice, outdated as it is, but for every healthy newborn!) and ABM is given routinely, babies just come with the bottle in their cribs.
  And I am not joking... it is just sad.
  Back to the discussion though - in my country it is still widespread that babies are fed sugared yogurt diluted with water (although maybe I should mention that this is not yogurt as you know it - the origin of yogurt as a food comes from my country, Bulgaria, and not commercially made yogurt has a unique type of lactobacillus, called L. bulgaricus). That's what mothers feed their babies, sometimes even if they don't have difficulties feeding them ABM - on the wrong perception that if yogurt is a natural product and contains that very beneficial type of bacteria, it is somehow better than chemical stuff like the ABM. For the poorer families it is a question of money - although a simple calculation shows that if you don't have a cow and have to buy commercial yogurt, you'll end ul spending the same ammount of money as for a cheaper brand of ABM.

  Christina in Bulgaria, enjoying yogurt, but not as a baby food