Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:08:44 -0700
Subject:     Moist wound healing
Sent:        11/24/97 4:59 PM
To:          lactnet, [log in to unmask]

    I overheard another counselor telling a mom about a brand of lanolin
for sore nipples. She said "It promotes moist wound healing and that is
what a crack on the nipple is,'a moist wound"
 Well not exactly. I thought maybe if she is confused on this there are
probably others who are confused too. Maybe the terminology should be
"moist healing of wounds"
 We have already had the discusssion on Lactnet about the difference
between internal moisture and external moisture. I have heard others
talking about keeping a wound moist by soaking it in saline . That is
external moisture and only accomplishes washing away internal moisture.
Applying a "sealant " of sorts keeps the internal moisture in and speeds
healing with out a scab. I hope this isn't too redundant for you all but
it still sems like confusion abounds.
 Mary Graden LLL Leader Idaho