From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:25:59 EDT
Nancy Wight shares this info from a recent article on premies and CMV: At 2
to 4.5 years of
age, follow-up assessments were conducted consisting of  neurologic
examination, neurodevelopmental assessment and detailed audiologic  tests.
RESULTS: None
of the children had sensorineural hearing loss. There  was no difference
between the groups with regard to neurologic, speech and  language or motor
development. CONCLUSION: The results of this study suggest  that early
postnatally
acquired CMV infection via CMV-positive breast milk  does not have a negative
effect
on neurodevelopment and hearing in this group  of patients. Because we studied
a small number of infants, further follow-up  studies are warranted in preterm
infants with early postnatally acquired CMV  infection.

This seems like very good news, Nancy. At our hospital we give fresh
breastmilk for the first week to all babies and then freeze it thereafter until  baby
reaches 34 weeks gestation or goes to breast, whichever comes first. And we
sure try to get them to breast before 34 weeks. So, since many of our babies
are  breastfeeding directly before 34 weeks, it seems to me it is time to
change the  policy to fresh breastmilk for all gestations, especially in light of
the new  evidence from the article you cited. What do you think?  Because our
nurses  are VERY busy and sometimes can't keep the guidelines straight, I fear
some of the premies get frozen milk when they wouldn't have to. Simplifying
it to all fresh milk would be so helpful. Of course, when mom is way ahead of
baby's demand we freeze the excess.

This information is just what Jan Barger was talking about when she wrote
about what a valuable resource our list is. Sometimes I think I should wean
myself from my addiction to Lactnet but it is such a good way to keep up  with
latest breastfeeding research and advocacy--not to mention creative  problem
solving.

Finally, on a totally unrelated note, next Saturday my oldest son is  getting
married. To keep on topic, it seems like just yesterday that I was
breastfeeding him.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC