From:
Terri Lear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 11:35:49 -0400
Has this mother ever tried nursing them together?  If both babies take the
breast, then why doesn't she work on nursing together? It's time-saving,
it adds better stimulation for milk production, and hopefully, she'll be
able to remove bottles of formula.  Until then, she could supplement at
the breast with an SNS.  When working with twins, the key is to simplify.
This woman has made this so complicated.  Two babies, two breasts, two
arms, it works out with practice.  Outside help is good, but the helper
should be willing to do everything but feed the babies, including handing
one baby to mom while she's got the other one latched on.  I breastfed
twins for four years and nursing them together most of the time was how I
managed it.  I had to force myself to learn how to latch them together
when home alone with them (and my three other kids).  With the help of a
hands-off observer, I learned how to do it with no assistance.  It was
difficult, but it got easier as the weeks went by.

Here's how I did it:  first get everything you'll need (remote control,
phone, burp cloths, drink for mom, kleenex, pillows, stool, etc.) and have
them put in place where mom can reach them.  A basket works great for
holding all the smaller stuff.  Then get both babies and place them on
either end of the couch or on either side of the bed (siderails in place)
and immediately sit between them.  Strap on nursing pillow, if using one.
Reach over for first baby--whichever one is crying harder or go with the
one that latches more quickly if neither is crying (best case scenario).
Latch that baby and make sure it's supported to stay at breast level.
Then reach over and pull second baby up to breast or onto pillow.  Latch
that baby.  Relatch the first baby if all this movement has caused it to
slip off a little.  Make sure mom's head, back, feet are supported and
babies are held up to breasts with pillows, etc.  Usually, the babies are
in football holds.  Support the sides of the nursing pillow with small
pillows underneath.  The weight of the babies tends to make it bend down
and they start to slide away from the breast. All mom needs to do now is
relax and let the milk flow!

Terri Lear, BA, IBCLC
Mother of five, including twins