From:
Jean Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 20:13:19 -0500
.
>I was watching a segment of Gone With the Wind last night....and after
>Melanie's baby is born, and they are trying to make it back to Tara amidst
>the flames and gunshot of war,..they encounter a cow, which Vivian Leigh
>ties to the back of the cart.....she says.."We'll need milk for the baby!".
Ack.

>I wonder if , in Civil War times, in the US, they indeed were feeding baby's
>cows milk...probably so..

Well, to give Scarlett the benefit of the doubt, my recollection is that
Melanie nearly died in childbirth, and was pretty weak and feverish in the
back of that wagon, so possibly a genuine case of insufficient milk?  I
think one of the servants (Dilcy?) breastfed Melanie's baby *and* her own
when they eventually arrived at Tara.

Jean Geary
Fundraiser, INFACT Canada & Gone With the Wind Fan
http://www.io.org/~infacto