From:
Lauren Grubb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:48:36 -0600
Hello- my name is Lauren and I am one of those late night readers who
usually prefers to stay silent, but get as much info as possible! I am
a League leader in IL. I am writing this post as one of my co-leaders called me tonight with a new situation for us. Here is the story:
  A woman is presently nursing her 18 mo. old with some frequency and has
no intention of weaning her any time soon as her husband had a vasectomy
and this will be her last bf experience. Her problem is that she has
recurrent yeast infections. They are always occuring 3 days after
intercourse ( although when they use a condom, she isn't getting them)
which at least suggests that she is contracting them from her husband.
Unfortunately, the Drs. do not seem to agree with this-they see it as a
fluke. She was finally cultured and they found the bacteria "rototorula"
(I haven't heard of it, but this is what my co-leader told me). They are
finally going to culture her husband this next week. Anyway, this woman
has tried several treatments, the most recent being boric acid
suppositories ( I didn't know that they could be used for that), but
nothing has helped. The yeast is getting worse.
  A Doctor has told her to try a drug called 'diflucan'; although he
said that she will have to wean for 2 days and that this med. may
also reduce her milk supply.
  Does anyone know anything about this medication? I didn't see it in
Dr. Hale's book. Has anyone else had any experience with this?
She lives in Harve de Grace, Maryland, so if you know of anyone out there
that could help her, it would be appreciated!
  Sorry this is so long. If you would prefer to e-mail me privately,
please do so at: [log in to unmask]
  Thanks,
  Lauren Grubb