From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:45:48 -0400
>   Maybe I'm missing something here, but the posts I'm reading seem to
> indicate that formula can be avoided by just having moms put baby to
> breast, even if they aren't currently breastfeeding.  And her
> breastfeeding neighbor can help her while her supply is non-existent or
> low by just wet-nursing in addition to caring for her own baby.  It seems
> to me that we are going to have some mighty hungry babies for at least
> several days, if we tell these moms that they can skip formula just by
> doing this.
>    Please explain what I am missing.  Thank you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what I thought people were saying was:
-if there is no formula at all, we already have some might hungry babies and
giving them even a small amount of breastfmilk is better than nothing
-if there is a partial or even complete supply of formula, but unsanitary
conditions, no clean water, nothing to clean bottles and nipples, then
giving the baby at least some breastmilk would provide some antibodies and
immune system enhancement to help them fight off the infections rampant in
these unsanitary conditions

Teresa