From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:52:42 -0600
Please excuse the personal nature of this question, but I always found there to be little information about how to breastfeed and co-sleep *comfortably* (actual positions, how to arrange pillows, etc) and I think the ability to comfortably and successfully co-sleep is a key determinant in having a happy breastfeeding experience.

Has anyone else had serious troubles with shoulder/neck pain and carpal tunnel (repetitive strain syndrome) developing due to co-sleeping?
What's happened to me is that I have been co-sleeping with my almost three year old dd right from the beginning. She stills nurses as much at night as she ever has, which means I am nursing her probably 6- 12 times a night. She must be in contact touch with me. So I am sleeping alot with my arm above my head, and spend more time on my right side than left. This spring my fingers starting falling asleep alot, and now my fingers in my right hand (except for pinkie) are all constanly numb. Also I am on computer about 2 hours a day, I guess, so that doesn't help. I have seen my doctor and a physiotherapist, and have a splint for my hand, and do stretching exercises for shoulder.

I've since learnt that one of my friends, who is also EN and co-sleeping, had similar problem, and even my physiotherapist, who is co-sleeping with her 2 year old, has the same problem, but she recognized it early and does her stretching exercises.

I guess that basically you are not supposed to sleep with your arm over your head, or with baby on arm, as it cuts off the blood.

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?
Janice Reynolds