From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:31:46 -0500
Well, it has happened again.  The doctor's office referred a mother to see me
yesterday because the baby had NOT gained ANY weight  for the past 2 months,
from it's 4 month to 6 month checkup!  Baby had gained fine up until 4
months, in fact doubled it's birth weight, then stood still.  She is
following the "Growing Kids God's Way" (Ezzo's) course and the very scheduled
feeding plan.  She stated she will do anything BUT feed more often than every
3 hours.   I had to work hard to be calm and didn't succeed very well.  This
is a loving, caring mother who truly believes she is following God's plan for
her child, and will do anything  BUT break the ALL important feeding schedule
that is promised to produce wonderful, well adjusted, healthy, smart,
obedient, happy, perfect, God fearing, Christian, children.  I told her I was
also a Christian, and I am POSITIVE God wants her baby TO GROW.  He provides
her with the means to help him grow.  After all he invented breastfeeding,
and he did not dictate in the Bible anywhere a 3 to 4 hour feeding schedule.
(I called my pastor and asked just to be sure I didn't miss some important
scripture somewhere)  I also told her many other Christians do not agree with
Rev. Ezzo's intrepretation of God's way to take care of babies and children
and gave her names and examples.  Also gave her examples of the huge amount
of incorrect medical advice in the course, disagreements with current SIDS
info, etc. Just because a course is labled by it's authors as "God's way"
does not mean that it is.
The baby slept in his seat a while then sat placidly just looking at us.  Too
placid for me.
I have no idea if the mom really "heard" anything I said.  She did listen and
said she would come back to weigh him,  drink the herbal tea, try to rest and
take care of herself.  I do not feel equiped to handle these situations.

This is a dangerous program folks.  Don't assume it is not in your
communities.  Warn your doctors. Warn your church leaders.  It is being
taught in peoples homes here and then branching out into the churches as
people rave about it because the babies ALL sleep through the night from 8
weeks.  Once parents attend the 10 to 12 week course on this it is too late.
 They are so indoctrinated and brainwashed they won't listen to anyone else
as they are convinced any other way is of the devil.  The babies pay the
price of the parents misguided good intentions, physically and emotionally.

If this is flaming, then I am guilty, but my bloodpressure is still not down
to normal, and I am still crying inside with grief for this baby and others
like him.  What a horrible way to feel; that a child needs to be rescued from
it's own parents.

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
in extremely fundamentalist Lynchburg, VA  --right now I feel like moving,
but I hear it is spreading everywhere.