Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:29:52 +0200
For those of you who asked me to keep you posted on the ALS mom, even
though today is my beach day, I decided to go in and see how this mom is
managing.
Dad proudly showed me how the baby is latching on by himself.  Mom was
lying down and Dad lay the baby on her ......within three seconds,
THWOOP, he was latched on and sucking beautifully!!  It was obvious the
baby had seen the self-attachment film!!  I still could not hear
swallowing, but the sucks were much deeper and longer today than
yesterday.
Mom is experiencing  slight feeling of swelling in her breasts...tonight
will be 72 hours.  The baby has lost about 8% of his birth weight, so I
advised them to keep him with them all during the day ( the nursing
staff are being very liberal with this couple!) and to watch for those
signs of readiness to eat and to feed him more often today.
One problem is that she is not drinking enough, apparently due to the
fact that  she can only drink in an upright position, but is more
comfortable lying  down.
I passed on all your good wishes and they were very happy to hear that
2,447 (?) hearts are with them on this.  Your positive energies are
getting all the way here!!
OK, now to the beach to walk off all this extra  padding I have
accumulated sitting in front of my computer all winter!!
Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel
mailto:[log in to unmask]