From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 10:54:59 -0400
I wanted to add one point that I have not seen covered in the discussion of
moms wanting to use a borrowed or used breastpump.  There are differences
in the brands of pumps with regard to possible contamination.

The medela pumps (pump n style, etc) have a suction system that involves
direct suction into a chamber above the entry point for the milk.  This
means that if the flange of the pump is inverted while suction is on, it is
*possible* for milk to travel back up the tubing (assisted by suction) and
into the motor of the pump.  At this point, it cannot be effectively
cleaned, though I have known some moms to try by sending some alcohol up
the hoses after it (don't know effectiveness of this).

The Ameda pumps (Purely Yours) have a different suction system - the
suction is applied to one side of a diaphram that moves up and down to
create suction in the flange.  For this reason, milk cannot "back up" into
the motor of an Ameda pump, and they are approved for mulitple users.  For
some reason, the medela pumps are much more prevalent, although the ameda
is just as good a pump (and cheaper).

Having used both brands for 9-5 pumping while at work, I find equal, if
slightly different, suction and milk collection with both.  But it would be
important to find out what brand of pump a mom has if she's bringing a used
one bz of the contamination possibilities of the medela pumps.  That said,
I agree w/ the other poster that most viruses can't live that long in a
pump, although mold might be a different issue.

respectfully,
Kirsten Berggren