From:
Jane Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 09:19:18 -0500
This woman is going to require monumental assistance no matter how she
chooses to feed her kids. We had a mom of 6 month old who was involved in car
accident. Was in halo traction, etc and long-term rehab at our hospital. She
had to pump during her hospital stay since infant was only brought
periodically to mom.  We used the Hands-Free Kit to enable her to pump
without a lot of assistance.  Holes were fasioned for her body cast, lined
with sheep skin to allow her breasts to be exposed.  We attached the rubber
bands to the sheep skin with safety pins.  The holders were then attached
normally to allow the pumps to function.  A quad mom could be fitted with the
Medela bras and the kit be used so she could pump.  If she does not go home
with the 35 weekers (and even if she does) she will probably have to pump to
keep her supply growing.  The hands-free kit really does help.  Adapting
nursing pillows and using various supports to keep babies well attached could
enable this mom to breastfeed.  I have used rice-filled socks or stockinette
as wrist supports for moms with carpal tunnel syndrome.  The chief
requirement is desire and lots of help!  Too bad they are arbitrarily
delivering the babies at 35 weeks.

Jane Kershaw  mailto: [log in to unmask]