From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:13:00 -0500
I have one final thought that I feel I need to make.  Partly to clear up another misconception, and partly in the hopes that I can get some information for a future revision of my book! So please bear with me.

Karleen made the comment, that Virginia may have made her comment, because it is hard for people in other Western democracies to understand the 'barbaric' practices of the US military in regards to breastfeeding/maternity leave.  In all fairness I have to make clear that the Australian Defence Force does NOT have any sort of policy or regulation regarding breastfeeding and/or pumping.  At least here in the United States 3 of the 4 branches of the armed forces have DO clear policies.  While they may seem barbaric in that the requirement still stands to return to work full-time at 6 weeks, at least the mothers here are afforded a deferment from deploying AND have guidance on when and for how long they can pump each day.

When I was researching my book I contacted (or tried to) as many female personnel from other countries militaries as I could so that I could include their information, and get a feel for what other countries are doing to protect and support breastfeeding for their personnel.  Among the replies I received was one from a mother who had served in the Australian Defence Force and was in fact working on her Master's.  Her thesis explored breastfeeding in the Australian Defence Force and how the lack of support made breastfeeding, and yes even breastmilk feeding next to impossible, as there were and still are no policies governing pumping, deployments, etc.

The same can be said for most of the militaries of the 'Western' democracies.  The UK, Canada, Germany, Israel, etc. also have little to no guidance for breastfeeding military personnel.  As the old adage says, "those in glass houses should not throw stones".  Rather than make statements about how barbaric it is to send women back to work in the military at 6 weeks and accuse them of not breastfeeding (and decry the sacrifices these women make every day defending your freedoms) let's instead support them in their quest to make breastfeeding work under very harsh circumstances.  You and I are NEVER going to change the mission of the military, any military.  But we can continue to push for better, and in the case of most militaries outside of the US, even a one single policy that gives breastfeeding military personnel clear, written guidance on when, where and how they can pump....so that they can breastfeed successfully while serving their respective country.

And I would ask, even plead, of those of you in countries OTHER than the United States, that if you or any of your co-workers, friends, acquaintances, etc. have any knowledge or can point me in the right direction to actual written policies regarding breastfeeding in your respective country's military...PLEASE send it my way.  I do plan to revise my book in the future (once I finish RN school) and want very much to include information about and for women in the military of other countries.  I will also update my website with this information, since I do currently receive requests from mothers in the UK, Canada, Philippines, Israel about how my book has helped, but do I have information on actual policies.  Thank you for any help you can send my way...it will help other mothers out there that are trying so hard to breastfeed while serving their country.  Best if you send it to [log in to unmask]

Respectfully,

Robyn Roche-Paull
BS, IBCLC, LLLL
United States Navy Veteran
Author ~Breastfeeding in Combat Boots: A Survival Guide to Successful Breastfeeding While Serving in the Military
www.breastfeedingincombatboots.com