From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:49:01 -0500
>>> Mary Conner wrote: The problem lies in the fact that many people don't
just think of formula as food, but as medicine, and the formula companies
nurture that belief. ....Fight the view of formula as needed medication (for
only a few, of course).  The formula companies love the fact that the
content is regulated by the FDA because it lends to that aura of
"medication, not just food".  Probably a bad idea to remove that one, but
continue working to get doctors and hospitals to stop handing it out like
medicine.  The word "formula" conjures up lots of nice scientific and
medical associations, start using something like "artificial milk" whenever
possible.  It's junk food for babies, and ought to be thought of as such.

        Mary,  you have set a challenge for my thought processes.  For a long time
I have encouraged parents to think of formula as medicine.  I'd say we use
medicine when it is needed, not because it is convenient, or because the
baby is fussy but because there is a medical indication and we should think
of formula in the same way.  Yet, you are right, it is junk food for babies.

Pondering,
Carla