From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:44:42 -0400
This from Australia. Can someone please respond to Joy? I am buried under
300 emails after having been away.  Kind thanks. Kathleen

>From: "Joy M Cocks" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Is this a galactocele?
>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:53:05 +1000
>>
>Hi Kathleen,
>I am a registered nurse, midwife and IBCLC working in country Victoria
(Australia) and at present am seeing a young mother with a 6 week old baby.
She has a small pea-shaped hard lump on her areola, just past the junction
of the nipple and areola.  It developed suddenly and her first indication
was pain on feeding.  It is very "tender" to touch and continues to be
painful when feeding.  There is no associated redness and no build-up of
milk behind it.  It feels quite superficial, but there is no white milk
blister on the surface.  Her doctor has no idea what it is and has referred
her to me.  I can't find a lot of information on galactocele but I feel this
may be what it is.   I have suggested the application of heat, gentle
massage and gentle hand expression (she finds the Kaneson pump too painful
as it presses on the lump).  It has been there for about 4 days and, if this
is what it is, I imagine that the milk would be very thick by now and
difficult to clear.  I am interested in your thoughts and what your approach
would be.
>Thank you
>Joy Cocks

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
in beautiful Williston, Vermont, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html