From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 19:00:31 -0400
I received a question from another Leader regarding the use of Mupirocin
ointment (trade name Bactroban).  The mother she is working with was
prescribed this ointment to use on her nipples after developing a
bacterial infection on her nipples.  Her doctor instructed her to wipe
the ointment off her nipples before nursing the baby.  She has been
doing this but now has very sore nipples (no kidding!).

Medications and Mothers' Milk (5th ed) has info regarding this
medication and its absorption into the milk but I would like some info
as to the necessity of wiping off her nipples prior to each feed.  I did
suggest that the mother could ask for another ointment that did not have
to be removed and also to ask the doctor what would happen if she didn't
(or forgot, or missed some, etc).

TIA!
Kathy Koch, LLL Leader and AAPL
Alexandria, VA