From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:59:54 -0600
This was found by and shared by a mom at Breastfeeding.com - I don't think
it has been mentioned on Lactnet yet.
From Northeast Magazine, August 18, 2002:
Back In The Mouths Of Babes
There's A Movement To Put Breasts Back Where They Belong...
http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/northeast/hc-breastfeed.artaug18.story?coll=
hc%2Dheadlines%2Dnortheast

This very well-written and well-researched article could be used as a
prototype article to be written to profile each of our own local
breastfeeding champions.
And it makes mention of the case of a woman being threatened with arrest for
indecent exposure for NIP:

snip:
Some of those feelings are well founded, as Dina Tantimonaco can attest. Her
encounter with a Milford police officer in 1996 sparked the state's first
breastfeeding legislation.

Tantimonaco was 30 and venturing out for the first time with her first baby,
3-week-old Brianna, when she was approached by a police officer while
discreetly nursing her daughter in the front seat of her Ford Blazer, the
only vehicle in a secluded parking lot. "I notice you're breastfeeding your
daughter, and you're not allowed to do that in public," she remembers him
saying. "You need to move your car, and you need to go home and do that."

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was in shock," Tantimonaco
recalls. "So I can't stay here for five minutes and feed her and then go
home?" she asked. "Not in my parking lot," was the answer. "He said to me,
`What is the worst thing that's going to happen to your daughter if you stop
breastfeeding her right now?' And I said, `Well, she'll probably frantically
cry the whole way home.' And he said, `Then you should just go home, and if
you continue to fight this with me ... if you don't get out of my parking
lot and stop doing that, I'll have no choice but to arrest you for indecent
exposure.' I was not indecent at all. ... My breast was completely covered."

A very good read for Monday morning coffee.
Janice Reynolds