From:
Elaine Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:21:39 -0400
...Not much to update, really, but I wanted everyone to know what the
post is about.
I haven't talked with mother today.  I plan to recommend that she
consider a naturopath (one who specializes in child allergies) since
there are SO MANY details that you or I or the mother can easily overlook
unless we have lots of experience with allergies. As I mentioned, she is
really "on the ball" and it sounds like her allergist is, too. They have
already switched to nonallergenic soap, the baby doesn't' take any
bottles, anyway, she reads ingredient labels....She is really
conscientious. I forgot to mention that the baby developed the severe
rash at about 2 months of age and was fed ONLY breastmilk the first two
months. Of course, mother wasn't on Elimination Diet (herself) till baby
was 4 or 5 months. I do plan to suggest that she try cooking plain rice
and boil it to death (instead of the infant cereal in a box). I'm also
going to recommend she pump with an electric pump in case the Nutramigen
(or Neocate if that doesn't work) doesn't work out. Beyond that, I really
think a Naturopath could help with the "fine tuning" of this
breastmilk-allergy relationship. Mother is really super-dedicated (have I
mentioned that enough times?) and I haven't given up on them. I really
hope we can work it out. THANK YOU to everyone for all the posts. I think
now it is up to the mother to decide what she wants to do. I will let you
know what happens next. Thank you, everyone.

Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
Cambridge-Somerville WIC
Massachusetts, USA