From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:47:35 +1000
I hope that most here would be aware of the Millennium Development Goals. A campaign called "In my Name" has been developed to lobby governments to put resources in place in order to achieve them. The clips below give the gist of the campaign. This is very important!
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/applications/blogs/campaigners/2008/09/in_my_name_calling_for_action.html
http://www.oxfam.org.au/campaigns/in-my-name/video.php
Two of the goals are related to breastfeeding...the ones addressing maternal mortality and infant mortality.
However, despite the fact that by far the most effective prevention of  infant mortality is to provide breastfeeding support (could prevent 13% of under 5y deaths- more effective than insecticide treated materials; water and sanitation programs; measles, Hib and tetanus vaccination; zinc supplementation or clean delivery- ref below) this does not rate a mention....even worse, one of those filmed is shown writing her name (to signify that she wants governments to take action) on a baby bottle (Argh!!! you might say! Argh!!! again).
I think it might be worth writing to Oxfam  and alerting them to this little problem (how can they use a baby bottle in their campaign in a positive way when so many babies die because of artificial feeding???). I also think it is worth participating in the campaign....more details on the website they want people to put together a video of them telling governments what they want them to do in their name to achieve the MDGs....I think we need a few breastfeeding women on there telling them that they should be restricting unethical marketing of infant formula and baby bottles and protecting and supporting breastfeeding.
Please pass this on elsewhere.
Karleen Gribble
Australia
Jones, G., et al., How many child deaths can we prevent this year? (Child survival II), in The Lancet. 2003. p. 65.