From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:05:56 -0400
Perhaps I'm being cynical today also, or just reflective.But I truly
believe that many parents take these precious bundles home from the
hospital as just one more responsibility. One more duty. They don't seem
to feel the "pull of flesh to flesh". Why else do I see these same
parents carrying their babies from here to there without ever touching
them? They carry them in carriers, feed them with bottles in their
carriers, put them in the back seat of their SUVs and stick a pacifier
in their mouth. I saw a couple, just last Sunday, bring their baby into
church, feed him and carry him out at the end of the service without
ever having a "skin to skin" moment. This , to me, is frightening.
Remind me , Lactnetters, what happens to babies who are never touched?
Signed, too critical and frightened,
Cheryl Muller, RNC IBCLC

  _____

Another factor is the adaptability of women, who often line up like
sheep, accepting all the risks of induction/epidurals/artificial feeding
as part of having babies. Other animals don't recognize their babies if
they are given epidural anesthesia in labor; humans not only get
epidurals routinely, but are separated from their babies at critical
times. Women become disconnected from labor and from their babies. Yet
they survive, and the babies go home breathing and with a heartbeat. The
medical system views this as success, even though many of those babies
can't suck or eat easily.
       Feeling very cyncial today,
       Warmly,
       Nikki Lee