Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 06:24:02 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I would say, no, I don't think that is the problem with this particular mom. This baby never gained weight right from the beginning. At 5 days this mother was resting in bed most of the day, feeding 14+ times per day and the baby went from 7#6oz to 5# 12oz, it was a dramatic weight loss. The baby looked emaciated and hadn't stooled for 36 hours, but it was voiding. Another sign to me that we have too more foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Also, the timing is very suspicious. Prior to starting the lecithin she had babies that were growing well on breastmilk, even though she had 6 kids at the time. She was managing to feed frequently enough to have her babies grow well. I have seen that same situation you describe with too busy mothers before, usually the babies are just slow weight gainers. This baby looked like it was starving to death. Plus mom is able to pump milk. If we have a production problem, why is she able to pump 30 ml after breastfeeding for
 30 min? 

Lactneters - has anyone ever heard of any surgery or treatment for women when they experience scarring to damage to a duct that results in recurrent plugged ducts? Would a surgeon ever do a surgical removal of that area of the breast? Would that just likely cause more damage?

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:23 PM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Tricia,
I wonder if lecithin is to blame at all. I had a mom come to me with baby #8 who was FTT at about 5-6 mos. Mom was an experienced nurser as is your mom. She had been nursing this little one like she had done all her others & of course had a busy life with that many children. Turns out this one didn't do well being quickly fed in the car when mom was out or while mom was doing something with another child at the same time. This one needed mom to pay attention while he was being nursed. Mom was so involved with everything she needed to do for her family, she didn't even see that this baby was SKINNY & wizened until she happened to be looking at photos of baby in the early weeks. She was shocked she hadn't realized what was happening. Don't know if that could be happening with your mom, but might be worth thinking about.

Warmly,
Pat Bucknell IBCLC
Avon Lake OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2