From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 06:24:02 -0800
I would say, no, I don't think that is the problem with this particular mom. This baby never gained weight right from the beginning. At 5 days this mother was resting in bed most of the day, feeding 14+ times per day and the baby went from 7#6oz to 5# 12oz, it was a dramatic weight loss. The baby looked emaciated and hadn't stooled for 36 hours, but it was voiding. Another sign to me that we have too more foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Also, the timing is very suspicious. Prior to starting the lecithin she had babies that were growing well on breastmilk, even though she had 6 kids at the time. She was managing to feed frequently enough to have her babies grow well. I have seen that same situation you describe with too busy mothers before, usually the babies are just slow weight gainers. This baby looked like it was starving to death. Plus mom is able to pump milk. If we have a production problem, why is she able to pump 30 ml after breastfeeding for
 30 min?

Lactneters - has anyone ever heard of any surgery or treatment for women when they experience scarring to damage to a duct that results in recurrent plugged ducts? Would a surgeon ever do a surgical removal of that area of the breast? Would that just likely cause more damage?

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC