From:
June & John <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:22:30 +1300
Hi All

my apologies to all for the long post,

I was asked to visit a mum and baby  who up to 8-9 days ago were breastfeeding without any problems. .
Baby is now 11 weeks and 5 days birth weight 3260 last weighed 4790 gms(2 days ago) she has only put on 100gms in 2 weeks.

Baby goes to the breast,  latches starts to suck , she then pulls back starts to scream. we tryed several things, breast compression, holding her more elevated, but the same thing happened  she wouldnt finger feed, cup feed, breast feed,    eventually after a struggle  she did take EBM by bottle. (this time mum had tryed for over 1 hour to put her on the breast)
She has lots of wet and dirty nappies her bowels motion the past 2 days  have had a green tinge to them

the plan I implented to-night was keep it simple (thankyou Amy Spangler) feed the baby. now she isnt able to pump more than 60 mls off the right breast and she calls the left breast the problem side an only gets 10 mls ? she is now going to start pumping, ( she dosent like either of the pumps  she alsready has so is racing off to get a hospital grade hire  pump)

I have also asked mum to get baby checked out by her Doctor in case of ear or throat problems.

So what else have I overlooked? how do you do an  Oral assessment on babies?
Sincerely

June Nicholls
IBCLC