Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 08:22:22 EDT
Melissa has asked about the letter to the House of Representatives that
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney is circulating. Yes, we should be asking our own
Congressional Representative to sign onto this letter that will be sent to the
Secretary of Health. You may wish to e-mail your Member of Congress the
letter itself explaining the importance of the WHA resolution and the ploy by
formula proponents to negate the importance of breastfeeding. This letter is not
being circulated in the Senate so letters are not needed to your senator.

However, the breastfeeding amendments that have been filed by Senator Tom
Harkin are important to alert your Senators to. All of this political activity
helps educate Congress about breastfeeding as we try to remove some of the
barriers to breastfeeding that exist at these levels. The buzz is also
important because as we approach summer, the formula companies usually have some  dire
warning about breast milk to deliver to the public to counteract World
Breastfeeding Week activities. As the Ross data shows, breastfeeding rates in  the
US dropped from 70% for any amount of breastfeeding to 66%, with exclusive
breastfeeding rates down to 45%. Their marketing is working quite well as they
peddle fatty acids and fat babies!

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA