From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:28:10 EST
In a message dated 2/17/1 3:30:16 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  there is significant research that shows EXCESS sugars (any -ose ending
sugar
molecule) after NATURAL weaning can lead to insulin resistance <snip> all can
contribute to the inability of our bodies to appropriately respond to insulin
over a period of years.  >>

Chris is absolutely correct about this. The Institute for Functional Medicine
has been doing excellent research for years now which have proven that
hyperinsulinemia or insulin resistance can be a precursor to Type II Diabetes
or people can live with its symptoms w/o ever becoming diabetic, thus never
having their condition treated. The illnesses associated with our Western
diet are numerous and certainly begin with the damage to the gut from
artificial feeding, whether it be combined with bf or not. They continue with
early weaning and our tendency to rely on fast food, artificial ingredients,
processed foods, high fat intake of the wrong kind (saturated), low intake of
the right kind (EFA's), overconsumption of protein and consumption of cow's
milk. It is not a high sucrose diet that is the leading cause of Type II
diabetes. It is the Standard American Diet (SAD).
    My childrens' previous ped (moved or still would be), who nursed her
children for normal lengths of time, discouraged all of her patients' parents
from giving any AIM or cow's milk to their children. She said that cow's milk
consumption is a leading cause of anemia in children.
    I personally think that it can be very easy to rely on cow's milk for the
nutrition it claims to provide and avoid having to actually learn about
nutritional content of fruits, veggies and grains. It is extremely
misleading, since the amount of calcium absorbed is not as high as people are
told, nor are many other nutrients likely to be absorbed in light of the gut
inflammation caused by both allergy and over-production of insulin.
<snip>
It is amazing to me that the very same people who can tell mothers that AF
increases rates of diabetes cannot seem to believe that cow's milk given over
many years might do the same thing.

<<I'm not saying that every person who promotes milk is part of a
conspiracy,>>

No, of course not, but there is certainly a huge benefit to the "dairy"
industry and others if their marketing materials pass for information among
HCP's. Isn't this what the AIM industry has been so good at?

<<however you should know that when markets are threatened, industry can and
will do whatever is necessary to protect their interest. >>

Absolutely! Look at the history of the "four food groups" which preceeded the
food pyramid. Prior to WWII, there were many more groups (12 and later I
believe there were 9). "Dairy" was only one of these, so much less important.
After WWII, when a former farmer was placed in charge of the US Dept of
Agriculture, and dairy farmers had tons of milk going to waste, the food
groups were revised, giving cow's milk great prominence and its consumption
was backed by a huge marketing campaign. How is this any different from the
actions of makers of AIM?

<<Take STEVIA for example...the Aspartame manufacturer and sugar cane lobby
have spent many resources to block this natural sweetener from being brought
to market (even the cook books for it) in the US.  This is in spite of the
fact that it actually stabilizes blood sugar, has 1/200th of the caloric and
carbohydrate content of sugar, doesn't cause tooth decay, and has decades of
flawless track record in other countries. >>

Yes, stevia can only be sold as a supplement, so as to keep info about it
from reaching the general public, while aspartame is actually sold as food!

<< Something to consider...sometimes we are not as "free" to access
information as we'd like to believe.-- >>

I would no more promote the food pyramid or consumption of cow's milk than I
would the use of AIM. IMO, all are the products of industry marketing,
nothing more. I don't have Chris or Kathy's credentials in this area, but I
have done what I encourage all parents to do (including those on WIC). I have
read and read and read,  attended seminars, talked extensively to HCP's and
come to my own conclusions. My children drink a lot of water.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA