From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:17:54 -0800
I tend to see the other side of the story -- mom's who didn't breast-feed, or
didn't breast feed for long, who now decide they really want to do it, and are
eager for advice and help.

But I can see women not wanting to repeat what might have been a poor
experience.  Again, a lot of education and discussion before she ever comes
to labor and delivery is a big help.  I also remind mom that this is a different
pregnancy, and a different baby, and we've learned an amazing amount in the
couple years since she had her last one.  If she would like to try again, we would love to help her.

To counter "taking away from the first child" --    Don't you want to give your second child the same advantages you gave your first?

Having a second child always creates a series of changes for the first child --
but that is a part of his growing up and learning how to handle the real world.
But we can affect how  the first-born sees these changes -- not necessarily as
losses but gains.  Not deprivations, but a leaving behind of one set of behaviors to gain a new set of privileges.

Chanita, in San Francisco (oldest of four, but never deprived)
.