From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:33:40 -0600
"I can honestly say, that one L.C. can manage about 10-12 inpatients per day
without significant problems and about 2 outpatients plus 8 - 10  phone
calls. . If you also need to be going to "meetings", faxing info, doing
research, and retail sales, or other committee work then the above numbers
will not work."

When I was a hospital L.C., it would sometimes take me 45 minutes in the
patient's room to really do a full feeding, answer questions and show moms
how to get BF going right. Especially if baby was a bit early, c-section,
and drugged/sleepy. For problem babies, I felt strongly that I needed to
observe an entire feeding, not just latch and run off. (I saw 8-12 patients
in 7 hours -- the more I had to see the fewer minutes each mother got.)

As a WIC L.C. now, and when I did private practice L.C. work, I often spend
1.5-2 hours per client for a full consultation. This involves paperwork
beforehand, test weighing before and after feedings, writing and giving the
written care plan, answering questions, maybe showing how to pump, and being
there for the entire feeding. Then I spend another 30 minutes doing HCP
reports.

A short WIC consultation is sometimes 45 minutes (baby is doing well and is
efficient at the breast, or if the feeding goes so poorly that we cut it
short).

And when I loan a breastpump to a WIC mom with a NICU baby, I am fortunate
to be able to spend 45 minutes with her, showing her how to pump, how to
store her milk, how to clean the collection kit, and answering any
questions. I sit with them through the entire pumping session to make sure
they are doing ok. Most moms tell me nobody showed them how to pump in the
hospital or how to clean the pieces or store her milk so I feel I must give
this much time.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC