From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 18:19:22 -0800
>I have not yet seen the mom, done a thorough history, examined her breasts,
>or observed a pumping or feeding session.

Willow,
Of course, all these things need to be done again. When you take the
history, find out especially if she had any infertility problems,
menstrual cycle problems; family history of ovarian cysts, diabetes, high
cholesterol or obesity.
She may need to have a blood panel to check her thyroid function and
prolactin levels as well.  Don't forget to note the shape of her breasts
and the distance between them at the breastbone. And, of course, screen
for retained placental fragments.

I don't think this has anything to do with the prenatal meds. The fact
that she had little noticeable breast growth is suspicious, though not
always the issue.

I'd love to hear the results of your investigation. I've run into several
of these myself, and I'm determined to figure this out; I believe that
there are hormonal issues that interfere with lactation and that they can
do so in a number of ways.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC