From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:30:33 -0500
Hi, Janaki -

Does her arthritis not respond to the standard "Western" ani-inflammatories
(Motrin, Relafen,etc.), or is she totally committed to using Chinese medical
practice exclusively?

The thing I would ask her is how would her condition be improved if she
weren't breastfeeding? She may have found these herbals, etc. effective
before, but I don't think it's realistic for her to just assume that she
will again. It sounds like she had a lot of pain even BEFORE she was
pregnant. If she weaned, she could be in just as much pain and disability
AND be having to deal with her baby's problems with switching to formula &
bottle or cup. Maybe if she can't find herbal treatments that are tolerated
by her baby, she could try weaning & pump to keep her milk supply in
production, so that if she doesn't get the relief she anticipated she could
resume nursing.

It's just hard for me to see how stopping nursing is going to make her feel
better!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY