From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 07:17:50 PST
Dear Jon and Lactnetters:

Baby-Friendly USA has a website.  It is
<http://www.aboutus.com/a100/bfusa>

There are at least 11 (and I think its up to at least 13) hospitals and
birthing centers in the U.S. awarded Baby Friendly status.  There are
hundreds more doing their Certificate of Intent.

Formula purchases...  How much money would this really cost, since your
hospital does so few births?  I remember someone suggesting patients
bring their own formula.  If you're considering mixing formula, then
might want to see how many patients are on WIC and using concentrate
(what WIC provides) rather than powdered.

Here are some thoughts re: formula that I haven't seen anyone post
lately:
1.  If patients bring their own formula, they can be sure to match the
brand with the brand that WIC provides.  I know in some areas, families
get very concerned that the Hospital formula is not the same as the WIC
formula, and that their babies have a hard time making the 'transition'
between the two.

2.  If the hospital is going to purchase formula, why not purchase
banked human milk instead?  Much better and safer than formula.

3.  If families have to purchase their own formula, and they are on WIC,
will they expect WIC to provide services (eg. formula) on in-pt. basis?
How many dads will leave labor hall to drive to the WIC office to get
their initial supplies?  Would WIC allow this?

4.  If families have to purchase their own formula, will this be an
added incentive to formula manufacturers to send the free cases to moms
*prior to* delivery?  Far more costly to them than distributing through
hospitals, but how many families are already getting the stuff anyway?
Big violation of the International Code, too!

Of course, part of the requirements of the International Code are for
healthworkers to be aware of the costs associated with artificial
feeding and to educate their patients on this.  Prenatal health workers
have an obligation to inform their patients about all of these costs,
including costs for feeding as in-patient.

Just some thoughts...

--Doraine Bailey
(Who has time to just be a breastfeeding busybody, as the ILCA World
Breastfeeding Week Action Kit has gone to Layout!!).