From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 17:53:52 -0400
Sorry, about estrogens and the lady who lost her ovaries due to tumors:
true, during breastfeeding, the estrogen
levels are low anyway... Where, then, is the urgency to replace ? Would
the nature of the tumors mandate it ?
Now my questions:
1. Are cyclamate and saccharin safe for breastfeeding ?  The question
comes from our dietician currently following a pregnant woman who is
considering bf but will take foodstuff containing these "fake sugars".
2. A new Mom bled after delivery, and was prescribed ergot. She was told,
three days after the end of the treatment, something like "Oh my gosh, you
were breastfeeding, ergot is contraindicated!". The baby looks fine to
me, but the mother would like to know if there is something she should be
aware of in terms of impact on the baby.
3. Another Mom, disgusted with nipple pain, fussy baby and the refusal of
her doctor
to prescribe Diflucan, decided to pump her milk and give it in a bottle. She
noticed
little lumps on the walls of the bottle (plastic, with cute decoration)
while tilting it to feed the baby,
and asked me "is this fat, or is the milk turning bad, or what is it ?" I
did not know, so I told her I would ask the experts.
Thank you,
Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive