Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:47:45 EDT
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my question about breastfeeding
after a stroke!  This mother originally contacted me by e-mail.  Last night
we talked by phone, but she lives several hours away.  Baby was born in an
unsupportive hospital where bottles were given (against her wishes) and there
was no LC.  Same nurse who gave the bottles refused to allow this mother to
come back and pump when she called late at night with engorgement.  The nurse
told her that the pump was for their patients in the hospital.  Where is all
this meanness coming from?!  I was delighted to find out that this particular
nurse has since been fired--because of this particular situation!  Mother
says baby refuses the breast.  She has tried a nipple shield and will
continue to work with the breastfeeding.  She has educated herself enough to
know that keeping up a supply by pumping is more difficult than by
breastfeeding.  She says her husband is very supportive and helpful.  She is
using a good quality double-pump and getting about twice as much from the
unaffected side.  I explained that it is normal for most women to make more
on one side and is most likely not related to the stroke.  According to her
reports, she is doing just fine at this point with milk supply.  60-70 cc
every 2-3 hours.  Baby weighs just over 6 lbs.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Montgomery, AL