From:
Michael Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 15:11:12 -0400
We have a very clever game that we play in our (Basel Childbirth Trust)
antenatal classes that covers "test weighing" and formilk and hindmilk.
Perhaps I can simply explain it.
We have 3 small poster boards.  On the first is drawn a baby bottle, on the
other two are simple drawings of breasts.  The poster with the baby bottle
comes with 30 small white circles.  The two posters with breasts come with
20 blue circles and 20 orange circles, divided equally between the two
breasts with the blue circles nearest the nipple.
Each group is given one poster.  The teacher slowly counts to 20.  The baby
bottle group is instructed to take one circle off the poster for each
count.  The first breast poster group is instructed to take blue dots from
the first breast for the first 10 counts, and blue dots from the second
breast for the second 10 counts.   The second breast poster group is
instructed to take all their circles only from one breast.
After the excercise, we explain to them that the white circles  represent
water and have no calories.
The blue circles are worth one calorie and the orange circles are worth 5
calories.
The object lesson would be that all the babies would "test weigh" (BTW,
this weighing is sometimes encouraged over here so we feel that we should
address it )  the same.  The all received 20 ounces of fluid.  But of
course the baby that was fed the water received no calories and the baby
that was fed  at two breasts for 10 counts each only gets 20 calories while
the baby that was fed from one breast recieved, 60 calories. We then also
talk about "finish first breast first".  I think it is a great visual
lesson.
Sorry this was so long, but I have really enjoyed the ideas that I have
gotten from this list, and wanted to share too!!
Schoene Tag,
Merilee Reeder
Basel CH