Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:59:27 EDT
This is my case study of 4 regarding memory of nursing and it's affect on
boys. I took a poll of my breastfed sons to see if they remember nursing. The
oldest, age 18 weaned from the breast at 1 year and of course has no recollection
at all. I was not surprised by that. The next two, 15 and 12 years old,
nursed around 2 years and 10 months and neither remembers anything about it. I was
sure they would remember after all the time we spent doing it, even every 2 -
3 hours all night until they were around 3. The 9 year old nursed until 3 1/2
remembers nursing while I was sitting on the couch or at the computer, but not
anything specific about it. He remembers when he quit nursing because his
brothers told him he couldn't be a Power Ranger if he still nursed so he said OK
I'll stop. (I remember it well because I was sooooo sad thinking he was my
last baby!) He would come under my shirt for days afterward and say "it smells so
good" and then turn and walk away. I would encourage him to nurse but he
wouldn't. My almost 4 year old daughter says she is not too big to nurse no matter
how much her brothers try to tell her she is. There is nothing sexual about
the breastfeeding relationship to them. As they have become older they do not
want to see my breasts and are quite vocal about telling me to "cover it up" if
I am overly exposed when nursing my daughter. The thought of mother in that
way is gross, however, they don't mind having half-clothed Pamela Anderson or
Brittany Spears on their bedroom walls.
Judy Gutowski, BA, IBCLC
Hannastown, PA