From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:40:47 -0700
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now and have only recently
responded to a few posts--though I've searched the LACTNET archives several
times in the last few years. I greatly appreciate access to the diverse
breastfeeding experience, knowledge, and support available here. I am a
breastfeeding advocate, an independent researcher and author in the fields
of psychology, culture and the family (including breastfeeding), an LLL
Leader and a researcher in the Publications Department of La Leche League
International (both mother-sized, volunteer positions). I'm supervised at
all times by my three-and-a-half year old daughter--hence my tendency to
lurk.

Many posts in the past few weeks have been in regard to (culturally based)
beliefs, attitudes and behaviors that breastfeeding advocates often find
perplexing, frustrating or absolutely infuriating (i.e., why do we view
newborns the way we do?, why are people often unsupportive of
breastfeeding?). Anyone interested in learning more about the cultural
basis of breastfeeding may want to watch for my article "The Cultural Art
of Breastfeeding" which is in press and will be featured in the
October-November 2000 issue of LEAVEN (LLLI's journal for Leaders). The
article discusses cultural dimensions of breastfeeding, such as the nature
of nurslings (a hot topic here on LACTNET), the mother-nursling
relationship, the timing of nursing, etc. When it is added to LLLI's
collection of on-line articles accessible through their web site at
http://www.lalecheleague.org, I will also add a link to it from the
publications page of my web site, Ammawell, located at
http://ammawell.homepage.com.

Please note that I do not participate in LACTNET as a representative of
LLLI--rather, in my other roles.

I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you.

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://ammawell.homepage.com