From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:40:39 -0400
        Barbara, I realize I was and am picking at details.  I do in overall spirit
agree with you. Thank you for the wealth of quotes you have taken the time
to enter into your messages.
I just think it should not be said that growing better means growing bigger.
Yes, well feeding, breastfed babies gain weight more rapidly than formula
fed babies at first, but later on they slow down.  Therefore, since
breastfed is better, bigger is only better part of the time.

>>>I guess my point is that breastfeeding works well -- most of the time.
>>>When it doesn't, it is a symptom of something amiss. Dysfuctional feeding
is
>>>promptly recognized as a crisis in the elderly, or even in animals, but
it
>>>is frequently ignored in infants.  I don't understand this.

        Yes, absolutely and well put.  I just meant that sometimes some things
can't be fixed but I take your point that everything that can be done should
be done.  Your analogy is so on the spot!  It made me think further; if an
elderly person must be fed artificially, i.e. by one of the adult formulas
it is acknowledged as a true loss of one of life's pleasures, prohibitively
expensive and dangerous.  In the US, if the person is in the hospital, it is
done only with a doctor's orders and usually with the consultation of a
dietian.  If it is fed with a tube instead of orally that requires at least
the supervision of licensed personnel.  Family members can be taught to do
these feedings but it is with great care.  Very good analogy.

Carla (in Maryland)