From:
Ruth Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:00:30 -0400
I had a thought that may have been previously addressed. I wonder if the conservative issues related to the scope of practice from IBLCE is related to their liability. Since they are the certifying board can they be sued by certifying an IBCLC that does not act according to the SOP? Those of us that are nurses or other health care providers may have to deal with our other professional board if there is a law suit. This may be why they mentioned the SOP is only for those with just IBCLC certification.

Who makes the SOP for other professions? Is it the certifying board or the professional organization? I strongly feel it should come from ILCA which is our professional organization.

I am very frustrated by my our certifying organization. I am a lactation consultant that also happens to be a nurse. So little of my knowledge came from my nursing experience or education as a nurse. I see the IBCLC as a stand alone professional that is part of a team with her/his unique lactation skills. Someone mentioned that like with birth we are following a medical model as a lactation consultant. I follow evidenced based practice but I strongly feel there are other models that would better suit our profession. No wonder if the IBLCE limits us with the SOP they have. Then there is no reason not to award a lesser cortication.

Ruth Solomon, RN, IBCLC, LLL Leader for 28 years