From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:46:13 EDT
Christine stated,

"She nurses lying down at night. I read about ductal
cramping, which I am not sure what that is.  I also read about rapid
refilling of the ducts and ductal thrush and vasospasms.  Would any of
these cause severe pain at night and not during the day"

Perhaps, mom's side-lying is compressing nerves, and in her case the large
blood vessel, and causing the resultant pain with the refilling of the blood
vessel, or blood supply to nerves.  If you'd like more info on vasospasm you
could go to Jack Newman's handouts on breastfeedingonline.com.  I'd suggest to mom
that she not lay on her side or try a pillow behind her back and lean back,
bringing her breast off the bed a bit, so her breast isn't "smushed" into the
bed causing compression.

Years ago I remember a mom with persistent plugged ducts that I worked with
as LLL leader and after everything else was tried, it finally came out that she
was side-lying at night, even when not nursing, and compressing ducts; a
switch to sleeping on her back solved the problem.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY