From:
"Stearns, Crystal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:10:03 -0600
Hi all,
I would like to share a wonderful thing we have here in Southern Oklahoma,
that I think helps identify mothers with all forms of Postpartum Adjustment
Disorders, not just PPD.  My hospital started a Mother/Baby Home Health
program, out of needs that I identified through my outpatient LC program.  I
offered free weight checks for my breastfeeding babies and was uncovering
majors problems.  Not only were there problems with babies, but the moms
were also suffering from medical and mental health issues.  The person that
was appointed to start our new Mother/Baby Program was my partner, a RNC,
IBCLC, with 20 years of OB, Postpartum, Newborn Nsy, and Level II Nsy
experience, like myself.  So together me have developed a Program to rival
even the major hospitals in the nation.  Bonnie, my partner, and I office
together since we usually share the same patients.  We have standing order
from about 1/2 of our doctors for home visits on mother and baby,  with the
other 1/2 using our services on an as needed basis.  All of the Mother/Baby
nurses have breastfeed their own children, are Breastfeeding Educator and
provide supplies, pumps and support to my breastfeeding moms.  They assist
and educate on all aspect of care and feeding, as well as mental health
issues.  Since I have a Masters in Counseling, I have inserviced the OB and
Mother/Baby nurse on identifying issues that might put a mother at risk for
Postpartum Adjustment Disorders and on proper referral.  We have even
received orders to see a new mother at home for just mental health issues.
Once the Mother/Baby nurses have discharged the mom/baby, they are offered a
free weight check through my out-patient clinic which farther enhances our
ability to identify problems.  What I find is that many of moms come in just
to talk about their own issues. We have had to deal with anything from
having to have a mom placed in a PSY unit to having DHS step in and remove
the baby(baby was not breastfeeding) to everything in between.
Please remember that dealing with these types of clients are both physically
and mentally draining on the care provider.
                                     SO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!
Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC
Mercy Memorial Health Center
Ardmore, OK  73443   (halfway between Oklahoma City, OK and Dallas, TX)