From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:35:55 -0700
In my hospital, it would have to be a part of the all-inclusive room rate.
Over 60% of our moms are covered by Federal Emergency Services. Their
babies are covered by our state's version of Medicaid. So either way, it's
the taxpayers that foot the bill.
We can try to bill them, if they are still at the address they used when
they checked in to give birth. If they are still there, they are usually so
low-income that they can't begin to pay any remainder of their hospital
bill. Most are on Food Stamps and participate in the WIC program.
So Food Stamps help cover the price of additional formula when baby
outgrows the WIC limits.
Whenever I refer a mom to WIC, it is for ongoing breastfeeding counseling
or for borrowing a breast pump when their baby is staying in the NICU.
So the question is: Passed on to - whom?
Phyllis

> Phyllis and Others:  What is wrong with a hospital passing the cost of

> formula on to the consumer (those that are using it - bottlefeeding moms)

> just as any other cost is passed on?  Remember, nothing in life is "free".

> Pam Hirsch, RN,BSN,CLC

> Clinical Lead, Lactation Services

> Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital

> Barrington, IL  USA

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates