From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:34:29 -0800
Jennifer,

I think that a non IBCLC doula should know at least
the 18 hours that is required for staff of the baby
friendly hospital initiative.  In a condensed form
this would include but not be limited to:

1.  Health benefits to mom, baby, and society.

2.  Postiion and assessment of the infant at breast
(alignment, areolar grasp, areolar compression, and
audible swallows - the 4 A's).

3.  Length of time at breast for each feeding (none,
but make sure there is milk transfer) and frequency as
supported by the AAP (at least 8-12 times in a 24 hour
period).

4.  Intake and output (what goes in must come out in
the form of poops- between 2-5 the size of the babies
fist in 24 hours, or the cumulation of this amount in
24 hours).

5.  How to maintain lactation if separated (manual
expression)/ lactation support groups/ community
resources for help with breastfeeding support and/or
problems(LLL, IBCLC).

I think that ALL mothers/families should have this
information and I think a doula should teach all of
these things to each of her couplets.  Anything less
would be a cheating the new family.  How can one
mother the mother without knowing breastfeeding?  The
mother support is only 1/2 completed at birth.  This
is one area there can be no skimping for educating of
the person providing the service.  I have been
impressed with most doula's I have been in contact
with because of their support for breastfeeding.  I am
usually shocked at the 2 I have met in 22 years of
nursing that really gave minimal support at best.

Good luck on your poll!
Theresa Johnson RN IBCLC
Heidelberg Germany