From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:52:46 -0500
I thought some here would be interested in this upcoming free webinar with Dr. Alan Greene (of Feeding Baby Green & the "White Out" campaign fame - "White Out" was a catchy way to educate parents and health care providers about moving away from refined white rice cereal as baby's first food - and worked well!)
His new focus is called TiccTocc (another catchy name - it's an acronym for Transitioning Immediate Cord Clamping To Optimal Cord Clamping). He will be presenting a TED Talk on this topic next month, but is doing a free in-depth webinar next week hosted by Isis Parenting.

This is definitely related to breastfeeding - for many reasons - including transfer of blood cells to reduce risk of iron-deficiency anemia at 6 months, and with new research showing that the transfer of stem cells helps with brain, lung and other organ growth and development in early infancy. Breastmilk has the *right* amount of iron, especially when babies receive the iron they are supposed to at the time of birth. Cord clamp timing is also another recommendation of the WHO and major medical groups, supported by more research all the time, that is largely ignored or feared due to misunderstanding or other reasons - and has a history of being something only "crunchy" people do. (Gee, really is beginning to sound like something else we know).

And in a "Watch Your Language"/ Diane Wiessinger connection, notice the name of the campaign is geared to move away from calling it "Delayed" cord clamping, and instead, calling it "Optimal" cord clamping - I think we can all appreciate the difference there! :)
Feel free to share this free webinar info with colleagues, birth workers, care providers and expectant families. All are welcome, and registrants will all receive a link to view the completed webinar even if they missed viewing it live.
https://cc.readytalk.com/r/7bb5rksysgxx

Nancy

Nancy Holtzman, RN IBCLC CPN
VP Clinical Content & Education