From:
Trish Thackston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:34:35 -0500
Hello,

I could use some fresh insight for a local mom who I am counseling by
e-mail.  She has seen an IBCLC who focused on the fact that he was
coughing so much w/ feedings (at the time, when he was 8 wks) telling
her that time babies are learning to regulate the flow of milk w/ their
tongues so may cough a lot and struggle.  The coughing has since
improved, but the fussing at the breast has not.

I suggested that she try letting the most forceful part of her MER spray
into a towel and then latch him on, as well as trying different
positions, and different environments (quiet, busy etc.)  His stools are
normal, so I don't think that serious oversupply is the issue.  She did
say that he has nursed relatively happily on two different occasions
when they were out of town, but went back to fussing at the breast upon
returning home.  She is unable to identify what was different while away
from home.

Here is her story, as related to me by her, posted with her enthusiastic
permission.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  She is highly
motivated to continue bf, but very frustrated with how things are going.

Trish

For the past 6 wks (my baby is almost 12 wks now) my son has been crying,
struggling, and even screaming almost EVERY time I try to nurse him
(after about 2 mins.).  I've done everything I can think of- seen a
lactation
consultant, discussed it w/ the doctor- started zantac to see if it was
reflux- zantac didn't seem to make a difference.  I give him infant
mylicon in case it's gas.  I try to burp him when he starts crying but
usually he doesn't burp or if he does he keeps crying.  I have limited
but not eliminated potentially allergic foods from my diet- I feel I
can't totally eliminate all dairy, wheat, gassy vegs, etc. b/c I'm
already a vegetarian and what else would be left, rice cakes??

I have decided to quit and just pump about 20 different times, but each
time I keep going, hoping that one day things will get better.  But
after 6 weeks of this, I am so tired of both of us crying all the time,
and I feel like he obviously hates it so why torture us both??  I love
nursing and I am THE biggest BF proponent, I feel so guilty giving him a
bottle but I am getting so dejected over this I really think it is going
to send me into full blown depression and I don't want that to happen.
I just want us to be happy and I want to enjoy my little baby and that
is not happening now.