From:
asimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:32:06 -0800
I am sorry this response is a bit late for the query about valerian
being used as a tx for insomnia.  I have no information on its efficacy
or safety during breastfeeding, but one thing does occur to me:
Valerian has a very distinctive, and to some people unpleasant, aroma.
If the milk were to be flavored by this, I can imagine that some "picky"
older babies might very well decline.

Just a thought.

Regarding NICU policies:  Who determines at what time NICU babies begin
to go to the breast?  What criteria are used?  In this area, the
age/weight varies widely.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Andrea Simmons
LLLL
St. Louis MO