From:
"Gary E. Prevatt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 01:12:08 EDT
I'm looking for experience with a baby that "clicks" almost constant during
feeds.  Baby is 2 months old,  weight gain and output normal.  Mom has large,
long, almost flacid breasts, very little and pale areolas.  Does this affect
latch-on? Baby will not open wide or protrude tongue.Baby is calm , mom says
nursing/latching on is better when baby is crying and wide, but does not want
baby to have to cry to feed. This baby has a small, short tognue.  The DR. says
this is not the problem.  Even when sucking on a finger she breaks suction and
will not hold on well.  Baby seems not to respond to lip/tongue tickling.  She
also curls both the sides and front of her tongue.  I'm coming in late trying to
help someone else help mom, so I don't have a lot of history, but baby just
doesn't seem to know how to breastfeed.  Mom denies ever using bottles, did some
finger feeding early on.  Mom continues to have pain with breastfeeding.
Suggestions??
Susan J. Prevatt