Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:46:46 EDT
Dear ones,

Just got a call from a mom that wonders if breastmilk, put in the freezer  is
supposed to freeze.

Well, yes.

Hers doesn't.  It's been in the back of the freezer for four  days, and is
very cold, but very liquid.  There are ice cubes in the  freezer, her meats are
frozen solid, but the breastmilk is just humming along at  a liquid pace.

She did say she doesn't use this freezer for ice cream because ice cream
doesn't freeze either.

So what's the deal?

And in case anyone is wondering, no, she didn't have any alcohol before
pumping.  I asked because I knew one of you would ask....

On a different note, I looked up Alagille Syndrome, and I can't figure out
why the physician would tell the mom to stop breastfeeding.  Except for
jaundice caused by problematic bile ducts and maybe liver function, it would  seem
that the best nutrition for this baby (as any baby) would be  breastmilk.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC
Wheaton IL